History

Print

Steel has a long tradition in the towns in which Böhler is based.

However, the real success story began in 1870.  Albert and Emil Böhler purchased steel from a number of different manufacturers and sold it from their company in Vienna. Due to the great success they were able to buy the mill in Kapfenberg, Styria in 1894 and modernised and expanded production impressively.

 

MILESTONES

1446

First hammer forge in Kapfenberg  Owner: Arnold Taubenprunner

1870

Foundation of Gebrüder Böhler & Co in Vienna

1872

Acquisition of the "Stahlwerks Bruckbach"

1879

Foundation of the first representative offices in Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburgh)

1894

Acquisition of Kapfenberg's production sites

1938

New sites build at Kapfenberg-Deuchendorf

1975

Böhler, Schoeller-Bleckmann and Steirische Gusstahlwerke AG were brought together to 'Vereinigte Edelstahlwerke AG (VEW)'

1981

The (then) world's largest Screw Press (31.500 to pressure) was put into operations

1988

Vereinigte Edelstahlwerke AG (VEW) is divided to Böhler GmbH and Schoeller-Bleckmann GmbH

1990

Acquisition of the Swedish Uddeholm AB by voestalpine Stahl AG

1991

Re-organisation of the Böhler group within the Böhler-Uddeholm AG. Böhler Schmiedetechnik GmbH was formed

1995/96

Böhler-Uddeholm is partly privatized by making an initial public offering on the Vienna Stock Exchange

2000

Restructuring and reorganization of the administrative building

2003

ÖIAG withdraws completely from Böhler-Uddeholm, which becomes a fully privatized company

2007

Böhler Uddeholm AG is taken over by voestalpine AG

2007

Start-up of the 35,500 ton screw press - the world's largest

2011

The holding company Böhler-Uddeholm AG is renamed voestalpine Edelstahl GmbH

 


Search on our website